31.5.13

Legally In Love: Part 3

Amirul Aiman had taken them both to a fancy restaurant in the city. The environment was inviting and it was quiet. They sat opposite each other at the table for two and looked at each other quite awkwardly. They said nothing until after the pretty young waitress had walked away with their orders.

“This is a nice place.” Nur Balqis commented. Amirul Aiman smiled.

“I’ve never been here before. I just thought it looked nice and pleasant, so I decided to give it a try.”

“Hmmm…” was her only reply. She continued looking around, trying not to meet her husband’s gaze. But there was something that Amirul Aiman needed to talk about. It was the main reason why he had asked his wife out for dinner that night.

“Balqis, there’s something I need to discuss with you about. Until we clarify these matters I don’t think we will ever be able to live in peace.”

Nur Balqis looked at him sharply. He couldn’t tell if she was angry or taken aback, but he didn’t like the look of those firm hazel eyes staring right through him as if he was transparent.

“I thought so.” She said. “But what makes you think this place can help you clarify things? We might as well just talk it out at home.”

“Because at home, we’ll end up fighting and locking ourselves up in our rooms.”

A slight pause.

“Fine.” Said Nur Balqis decisively.

Amirul Aiman cleared his throat before he spoke. “I know we both made an oath each during the night of our wedding. I’ve been trying to hold on to it, and I think I’ve been giving you enough space, have I not?” he asked.

“I think so. I don’t feel otherwise.” Nur Balqis answered matter-of-factly, and Amirul Aiman wasn’t satisfied with that.

“And I know we’ve only actually known each other for two weeks, but you’re my wife. I’ve been trying to understand things and to become a good husband. Have I not done a good job?” he continued with another question. This time Nur Balqis took some time to answer. She looked at him with judging eyes, trying to make sure if the question had any intended meaning.

“Why are you asking me this? Are you trying to say that I haven’t been holding on to my oath? Is that what you mean?” she asked back sharply.

At that very moment, the pretty young waitress returned to their table with their drinks, a plate of Fettuccini Carbonara for Amirul Aiman and a bowl of mixed salad and mushroom soup for Nur Balqis. Both of them had to hold their tongues for an agonizing minute because apparently there were a thousand words ready to jump out as soon as they open their mouths.

When the young waitress left the table, Nur Balqis let out a sigh and raised her hands to recite the do’a before tucking in to her healthy meal. Amirul Aiman did the same. They both decided that it was best to calm themselves first with the luxurious food before anything.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean it that way. It’s just that, I don’t think things are working out the way it should be.” Amirul Aiman uttered slowly. Nur Balqis didn’t move her eyes from her food.

“What do you mean ‘the way it should be’? It’s only been two weeks.” She replied.

“I know, but we’ve only been arguing about petty little things and we’re not even talking to each other! Firstly, I barely even know you beyond your name, your family background and your job. I don’t even know your birth date!”

There was a hint of exasperation in his voice, and it seemed that Nur Balqis was well aware of that. As a matter of fact, she did realize the truth in her husband’s words. The only thing was that she wasn’t sure whether it was hers or her husband’s fault.

“What do you want me to do? I’m trying my best to understand as much as you are. It’s just…I don’t know.”

A moment of silence as they both thought about what Nur Balqis had just said.

“Maybe you should start treating me as your husband instead of some possibly guilty criminal.” Amirul Aiman started. Nur Balqis was shocked with his answer.

“What?!”

“Everytime you look at me you give me that judging stare, as if I’ve been doing something wrong. I understand that you’re a lawyer but I’m not one of the suspects you’re trying to prove guilty in court. I’m your husband.”

Nur Balqis felt an imaginary knife stab into her heart. She realized that she had been treating Amirul Aiman quite coldly since their marriage despite the oath she made. She had tried to dispose of all the judging thoughts and the skeptical feeling, but she couldn’t. And there was a reason to all that. A reason from a past that still burned deep down inside her like a scar.

“I’m sorry.” She said grimly.

They both spoke of nothing after that and throughout their dinner.

In Amirul Aiman’s blue Myvi, the situation was no different. At least for the first 10 minutes, before Nur Balqis finally decided a solution to their problem.

“You like to hike, do you?” she asked.

“Uh, yeah.” Amirul Aiman replied despite his surprise. He was shocked because he never told that to Nur Balqis.

“Hmm. You know what? I’m free next two weeks. Wanna go for a hike?”

Now Amirul Aiman was suspicious. Suddenly his wife was being friendly to him, and although he loved to hike and do extreme stuffs, he was a bit hesitant. He couldn’t relate how this would help their relationship in any way.

“Are you sure? I mean, have you ever gone hiking before? It’s a bit dangerous you know.” He said. Nur Balqis gave him a smirk and laughed.

“What, just because I’m a woman you think I can’t hike? I’ve never hiked before, but I’ve always wanted to run away from the city once in awhile. I never had the chance to. You’re used to it, you can teach me. Right?”

Nur Balqis had smiled to him. Not only that, she laughed as well! There was no way Amirul Aiman could refuse the offer. If that was the only thing that could help him get to know his wife better, there was no way he would say no.


“Uhh…okay?”

To be continued...

No comments: