14.1.13

Winter Coffee

One day, when you finally open your eyes, you’ll realize how much you mean to me and what we both lost the moment you told me to leave.

It has been raining for days with no signs of impeding. Every time I wake up in the morning, tears stream down my face as if someone had turned on the tap and forgotten to turn it back off last night. I don’t remember the last time I ate properly, but I wasn’t hungry. Maybe a little dry in the throat - perhaps because of the crying - but not hungry. I continued to curl under the blanket, indulging in the warmth, and closed my eyes. My CD player ran out of battery days ago, but I left the earpieces in my ears just because. I played the same sad song over and over again before that until I can even hear it in my head now, repeating itself as if it was haunting me.

Last week Brian broke up on me with another girl from uptown. We met a month ago at a party at a friend’s house. He was nice and of course, good looking. He cared about me so much that I immediately got swept away by his charms. He took me to cool places to hang out with his friends, and at that time I felt like I was the only girl in his world. If only I knew how foolish I had become!

Of course, a month of getting to know each other should not have been enough reason to be crying myself sick like this. In fact, the break up with Brian is not the only reason why I wake up every morning hating myself and everything else in the world. It was something else that I should have seen before. It was somebody before Brian.

Mark was my friend since childhood. We grew up together to become like brothers and sisters, went to school together except that he was a year older then I am, so he was basically my senior. After graduating from high school, we went to different colleges to pursue our studies. He loved music so much. He enrolled into a music college so that he could become a famous musician and composer. I went to an art school because I wanted to become a painter.

“When I grow up, I wanna become a painter like Leonardo Da Vinci, so that I can copy his Monalisa and give it to you as a birthday present one day. You’ll be amazed that time until you feel like marrying me.” I remembered saying to him when I was a little girl, naïve and unknowing of the world. We both laughed at the time, always thinking that everything was a joke. We were both two happy little kids.

“Well I’ll write you a song then, the one like Pachelbel’s ‘Canon’. You like ‘Canon’ don’t you? I’ll write you something better, so that when I ask you to marry me you’ll immediately say ‘yes’.” He had replied. I still remember his cute little boyish smile – a smile that I now miss so dearly.

Well, we both graduated two months ago. He has his own band now, and they do performances and gigs every weekend. I’ve been painting a lot for the last three years, but I’ve never managed to copy the legendary Monalisa yet. There’s an art gallery just down the corner from where I live. They sell some of my paintings. That’s how I’ve been making my living for the past few months.

A week after we graduated, he called to meet me at our usual place; the coffee shop. Autumn was just ending and everything was starting to get cold. I put on my favourite dark green sweater and off I went, taking two buses and a short walk before I reach the place. He would need to take the train in order to get here, because his place was farther.

When we were both finally sitting face-to-face in front of each other, I realized how everything has changed. How grown-up we have become, and how time had flown by without us noticing. He was no longer the childish brat I used to remember, and I’m no longer his little cry-baby sister. After our cup of coffees arrived, he took out his iPod and plugged the earphones into my ears. An instrumental music played after he clicked the ‘play’ button, and I recognized a familiar tune.

“It’s an improvisation of ‘Canon’, arranged by yours truly.” He had said with a grin. I smiled back, impressed. It was really good, and it touched me because he still remembered that promise we made when we were just little children. The promise that I had already forgotten about. It never really occurred to me that I should be able to copy a legendary masterpiece such as Monalisa. By the way, I did not find any significance of doing so.

We frequently met each other after that, and I even went to one of his gigs at a bar downtown. I loved it because we became best friends again. It never really occurred to me that we could be more than just friends, until Brian came into the picture.

Mark didn’t like Brian at all. He said Brian looked like the kind of person you should not trust. I agreed when he said that Brian was a sweet talker, but I never really saw past that. I thought Brian did all that because he really liked me. When I started going out with Brian, Mark started to avoid me. I thought he hated Brian so much, so I stopped talking about Brian in front of him. But one day, he found out that I’ve started to hang out with Brian and his friends, and he became so angry that he yelled at me.

“He’s going to ruin you, you fool! Can’t you see it already?!”

“What’s wrong with you? What’s your problem with my boyfriend that you hate him so much? You don’t even know him!”

“So he’s your boyfriend now, huh? Good then. I hope he’s good in bed so that you can make cute little babies soon.”

I was angered with his words because I didn’t understand. I was confused. I was foolish. I still remember how I shook with anger, and the feeling of the blood rushing up to my head, I thought I was going mad. I slapped him hard on the face, tears filling up the brims of my eyes, and we both stood there looking at each other for awhile.

“Stop it, Mark. Stop it.” I said finally. He looked at me, one hand pressing onto his left cheek.

“So this is it. This is how it ends.”

“Go away.”

“All those years for nothing. All those fucking years for a painful slap on my face.”

“Shut up! I hate you!!”

My tears fell rapidly as I looked away from him. I was so angry and disappointed. He walked away silently after that, not saying a word. Now that I came to think of it, he must have hurt more than I did.

A week after that, a CD arrived inside a white envelop in front of my doorstep one winter morning. With the CD was a simple handwritten note written on a torn piece of paper with words that later haunt me in my wake and in my sleep - the words that slapped me hard when I found Brian making out with another girl in his apartment bedroom, and the words that finally answered all my confusion and questions all this while.

One day, when you finally open your eyes, you’ll realize how much you mean to me and what we both lost the moment you told me to leave.

 If only I had realized it earlier, but it was all too late.

I placed the CD into my CD player that morning and listened to the one and only song that was in it. Before I broke up with Brian, nothing made sense. After I broke up with Brian, I understood all the pain that was in the song, all the memories and the sorrows, everything. And that very song now also haunts me.

I pushed the blankets away and looked to the digital alarm clock on the bedside table on my right. 10 o’clock in the morning. I decide to log on to my laptop to check e-mails from the gallery – actually half hoping to find one from Mark as well. Apparently, there was no new e-mail in my inbox; not from Mark, not even from the gallery. I sat there pondering for awhile before I reached for my CD player, took out the CD I got from Mark and chucked it into the CD drive of my laptop.

There were three things inside the CD. An mp3 file that was the song, in which the title is ‘Winter coffee’, a picture of us as little children, smiling happily and holding hands as if nothing could tear us apart, and a little poem.

Like kings and queens
We ruled our little wonderland
The little Mozart who dreamed of a band
And the little Da Vinci who wanted to rewrite a legend

Little promises made
Hand in hand
But no one held the crystal ball
No one held the crystal ball

When the Knave of hearts came
Put his blade on our throats
He painted the end of our game
He sang the beginning of our fall
For no one held the crystal ball.

My tear drops fell again as I noticed the name underneath the picture that read ‘I love you.jpeg’.

-fin-

No comments: