23.1.13

Book Review: Howl's Moving Castle


"The one big, strange fact about Howl is that almost every young woman who reads about him wants to marry him." -Diana Wynne Jones

I've just read the PDF version of this book for the second time and you know the feeling you always get when you read an awesome book; it never leaves you. 

I've tried looking for the real one but to no avail. Most book stores in my area either don't sell them or they're out of stock. I don't understand why. This is a particularly good book for  children and young adults especially. Every page is an adventure. So far this is one of my favourite book ever. Honestly, although I love Enid Blyton's books such as the Famous 5 and the Adventurous 4, Diana's Castle Series beat them all with a little sprinkle of magic and witty humour. 

If fire demons, magic spells, castles that can move, hopping turnip-headed scarecrows and vain womanizing wizards appeal to you, then this is the  book you should be looking for! Girls will most likely love this book because of the character Howl. 

Personally, yes, I did fall in love with Howl myself. But I fell in love with the movie version of him first from Studio Ghibli, directed by Hayao Miyazaki. I found the movie before I knew there was a book, but I read the book first before I watched the movie. However, I must say, I love the book even more even if I like both book and movie versions of the story. Who doesn't like Studio Ghibli movies? Yet, because the book was much elaborate and detailed,  you'll find things in the book much easier to understand and interesting. AND, the movie version is way different from the book version except for the characters (even some of them are different) and some of the plots.

I am 21, but my favourite kind of books has always been the ones with magic, dragons, adventures and epic sword fights. I'll never grow out of these kinds of books even if I tend to look for much serious reading nowadays. Basically, Howl's Moving Castle is like a juice that quenches my thirst for a magical adventure. For those like me, when you read this, you're in Ingary the very moment you start the first sentence in the book. When you finish, it feels as if you just walked out of a magical door, back into the realms of reality, feeling a little giddy but utterly happy for witnessing a magical happy ending.

And if you're left wanting more, there's always the sequels to this book: The House of Many Ways and Castle in the Air. 

"We ought to live happily ever after." -Howl Pendragon

A fan art I drew of the two main characters in the book, Howl and Sophie.

No comments: